Sunday, March 4, 2012

Reflection Journal #1

Friday, March 02, 2012

12:56 PM

I will freely admit--when I read the Introduction to this course and was warned that not only does this class require the time required for a regular two-credit class, but, because it's a block class, we will be doubling up on assignments, hence, double the time commitment--I almost bailed. But, I stepped back, took a deep breath and made the choice to stay. We have always encouraged our children to receive a father's blessing as they begin their school year, starting in kindergarten, continuing through graduate school. So, last Sunday, Frank gave me a priesthood blessing. It was quite a touching moment for both of us.

I have had such a good week! I particularly enjoyed the readings in Thessalonians. I love the counsel given by Paul. It seems so practical and lovingly given. I was glad that a couple of the assignments took me back into Acts. On the second or third reading, I found doctrines and teachings that I had missed the first time through, as I was just kind of following the story line. That is in line with Elder Oaks' comment--

"Because we believe that scripture reading can help us receive revelation, we are encouraged to read the scriptures again and again. By this means, we obtain access to what our Heavenly Father would have us know and do in our personal lives today. That is one reason Latter-day Saints believe in daily scripture study." A few verses I read maybe half a dozen times, and suddenly the light would come on and I was able to make sense of the passage, and make a connection with how it could apply to the question I was researching, or how it could apply in my life.

I've had a good week, away from the specific study of the lesson material, also. Elder Oaks also taught,

"The idea that scripture reading can lead to inspiration and revelation opens the door to the truth that a scripture is not limited to what it meant when it was written but may also include what that scripture means to a reader today. Even more, scripture reading may also lead to current revelation on whatever else the Lord wishes to communicate to the reader at that time. We do not overstate the point when we say that the scriptures can be a Urim and Thummim to assist each of us to receive personal revelation." When I'm immersed in the scriptures, as I have been this week, my mind is open to any revelation that the Lord is wanting to give me. That will come in handy, because now that I've completed my class work for this week, I've got to finish preparing a Relief Society lesson for Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment