Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lesson 4 Melchizedel and the Priesthood

  1. A man must be called of God. This man would be one who is recognized as having the Spirit. The person, extending the call must have Priesthood authority, having been ordained by another man having authority, who is known by the heads of the church to have authority. The ordaining is performed by those who have authority laying hands upon the head of the person being called. We know who has authority in the church today by looking to the Prophet and to our Priesthood leaders, who are called by the Lord.
  2. Melchizedek was considered a great high priest because:
  • "he was a man of faith who wrought righteousness", he "feared God". He was "approved of God" (Gen 12: 26, 27 JST). He did everything according to God's will (v. 31) He had great faith. (v 32) He established righteousness. (v. 36)
  • He stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the violence of fire. He broke mountains, divided the seas, dried up waters, turned rivers from their course. He stood in the presence of God.
  • Melchizedek blessed Abram (Abraham)
  • The Melchizedek Priesthood was originally referred to as the Holy Priesthood, after the Order of the Son of God. But, in order to not use the name of the Son of God too often, the ancient church instead referred to that priesthood as the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. I am very grateful for the Priesthood, both as a daughter and as a wife, and now as a mother of priesthood bearing sons. My father was a worthy priesthood holder--he gave us priesthood blessings and baptized and confirmed us and helped to set us apart when callings came. He and my mother served several missions together, and I delighted in hearing them refer to each other as "Elder" and "Sister". Dad served in various priesthood callings throughout his life. My husband has been a worthy priesthood holder throughout our marriage. He has blessed our babies, baptized and confirmed our children and served in priesthood callings. Honoring his priesthood has helped him to be a wonderful husband and father. Every year he gives our children father's blessings, and he is quick to respond to requests when one of the kids is sick. As I began my online classes, he followed our family tradition, and gave me a priesthood blessing for success as I go back to school after all these years. I'm grateful that my two sons consciously work to honor their priesthood. It's always a thrill to see a young son pass the sacrament for the first time, and it's a heart-wrenching event as a son leaves on a mission. I'm glad that one has already chosen to serve an honorable mission, and that my 15-year old son intends to serve. I'm grateful for priesthood leaders in our ward and stake. I know they are called of God and work hard to serve each of us in the wards and stake.

4. I discussed this with my 12-year old daughter. Some things she knew, some things that I thought she knew we clarified. She was able to list several ways that the priesthood has blessed her life, from being blessed as an infant, through baptism, confirmation, father's blessings, and being set apart in a Beehive class presidency. We discussed the offices of the Aaronic Priesthood and the Melchizedek, and the different responsibilities and privileges each has. We had a nice visit. It will apply to one of her Personal Progress experiences, also.

No comments:

Post a Comment